How To Practice Self-Care When Engaging With Disturbing Media Content
This guide is taken from our White Awakening course session "Trauma Triggers & Self Care." In this session, Rha and Corey talk about the importance of honoring past traumas and the necessity of self care; especially when engaging with disturbing content. Below are some tips, tools and practices for how to self honor and self care as a daily, lifelong commitment that transcends any issue or challenge you may be facing and increases your capacity to show up powerfully for yourself and others.
- Take an inventory of your current self care practices. How supportive have those practices been when dealing with the issue of race?
- Do you have a protocol for how you take in disturbing content? What governs your choices about what you will consume and what you won’t? If you don’t have a set of criteria, now is the time to create some.
- When you consider what kind of support would really make a difference for you when it comes to how you experience and process these incidents, what do you see?
- Are there ways that you might integrate a more trauma informed approach to how you share and engage around this kind of content in the future?
- For the next 7 days, make a minimum commitment to not consume any content from at least one media outlet and one social media channel.
- Observe your energy during these 7 days and what your overall experience is at the end.
- Use a small notebook to log your greatest insights as you move through the process.
- How might you consider incorporating a media fast into your normal self care regimen?
Interested in learning more? Take our FREE assessment. Let's continue to Awaken Together.